Get Free Shipping!
Buy 12 (Any Seed) & use Checkout Code “SEEDSAVER”
Ashy Sunflower (Helianthus mollis), also known as the Downy Sunflower, is a native, warm-season perennial forb named for its distinctive gray-haired leaves and stems. This classic sunflower is a wildflower staple in the U.S.
- This plant’s yellow-gold flowers sit atop stems that are tall and erect, growing 5-6 feet tall.
- With its rhizomatous system, it is often used to prevent soil erosion.
- Prefers dryer soils, but grows taller in soils with more nutrients.
- Pollinators are highly attracted to this wildflower, including bees and butterflies.
- Its abundant seeds entice a range of game and non-game bird species.
The Downy sunflower is quite aggressive, and tends to outcompete surrounding plants. To lessen its impact, cut off the flower head before the seeds become ripe to prevent unwanted seedlings. It’s deer resistant, and attracts birds and pollinators, making it one of the hardiest native plants in the Midwest.
Ashy Sunflower blooms during mid to late summer (July-Sept) and is native to the central and eastern United States. It does best in full sun conditions with well-drained, medium dry soil. It is adapted to hardiness zones 3-9.
Get your Ashy/Downy Sunflower seeds today for 40% off! High quality and germination guaranteed.
About PLS (Pure Live Seed)
Pure Air Natives tests all harvested seed for purity, germination, noxious weeds (state restricted), the dormancy. We only sell purest quality live seed that is going to germinate. (3rd Party Lab Tested)